Pourtal Wine Tasting Bar in Santa Monica seems to be one of the few places in the city (and probably only because it's new) that offers a quiet, low key wine tasting environment. Like Ugo, Pourtal's wine tasting concept uses the pay-as-you-go tasting credit cards that you can load up or cash out as you like. However, unlike Ugo, Pourtal offers ample seating and elbow room. On Saturday night, May 29th, Chris and I loaded up $30 and were able to get 8 pours total.
Portal offers a rotating wine selection of "boutique, vintage, cult and value-driven" wines. I especially appreciated their section devoted to female winemakers from around the world, many of which were organically grown. Interested in trying some? Below is the full list:
- Cantine del Castello di Conti "Boca" - Italy (Organic)
- Pfneiszl "Starling's Favorite" Shiraz - Hungary (Organic)
- Domaine Felines Jourdan Merlot - France (Organic)
- Patricia Green "Estate" Pinot Noir - Oregon (Organic)
- Ampelos "Gamma" Syrah - California (Super Organic!!)
- Niner Bootjack Ranch Sangiovese - California
- Lopez de Heredia "Bosconia" Reserva - Spain (Organic)
- Domaine La Lorentine 2004 Lirac - France (Organic)
- Donkey & Goat "Isabel's Cuvee" Rose - California (Organic)
- Lopez de Heredia 1997 Rose - Spain
- Nikolaihof "Hefeabzug" Gruner Veltiner - Austria (Biodynamic)
- Cold Heaven "Le Bon Climat" Viognier - California (Organic)
- Inman Family Pinot Gris - California (Organic)
- Gunderloch "Diva" Riesling - Germany
- Gentilini "Aspro Classic" - Greece
- Hoyt Family Vineyards Chardonnay - California
I especially enjoyed the Niner "Bootjack Ranch" Sangiovese which was rich, complex and full of great fruit and spice flavors. I went back for 2 more pours!
Pourtal also features "Angel Shares Happy Hour" that features discounts on wine and appetizers and a portion of your tab goes towards local non profits! A votre sante!!